READ: The Binibining Pilipinas 2017 Top 15 finalists Q and A
MANILA, Philippines – A new set of Binibining Pilipinas queens were crowned on Sunday, April 30.
The pageant opened up with 40 beautiful ladies focused on clinching one of the six crowns at stake. After giving away some special awards from the pageant sponsors, the 40 was trimmed down to 25.
As the coronation night progressed, the competition even became tougher with the Swimsuit and Long Gown parade then finally, the announcement of Top 15.
Significant changes were made to the pageant format in an effort to find the complete “Binibining Pilipinas queens” who will continue the winning streak of the country in the international pageants.
No more selection of Top 10 this year. All the 15 finalists had to go through the most significant and the most nerve-wracking part of the evening – the question and answer portion.
The Q and A proved to be the “make or break” part for the Top 15. While others excellently delivered their thoughts to the questions thrown at them by the judges, some contestants allowed the nerves got the better of them that caused them the elusive Binibining Pilipinas crown.
Here’s the full transcript of the Binibining Pilipinas 2017 Top 15 ‘Question and Answer’:
- Bb. No. 20 – Christa Gale Borja
- – What kind of day would describe the best day in your life?
Christa: “It would definitely be this day. This is the moment I’ve been waiting for. I’ve been challenged mentally, physically and emotionally. I’ve moved from Great Britain back to the Philippines, left my stable job, my career and this is what I’m fighting for and this is the best day of my life.”
- Bb. No. 13 – Sirene Sutton
- – Is it right for parents to demand support from children in exchange for raising them?
Sirene: (Pause) “No…will you please repeat the question…(Judge repeats the question) Yes it’s right for parents…for parents to demand…No…(laughs, then time signal rings..).”
- Bb. No. 31 – Katarina Rodriguez (Bb. Pilipinas Intercontinental 2017)
- – What is your definition of a winner?
Katarina: “My definition of a winner is somebody who understands that winning isn’t just because of the reward, it’s because of the responsibility that comes along with when you win, what you do with when you win and how you execute the job after you win. I think a winner is somebody who knows how to inspire others, who is kind and brave and so ever curious.”
- Bb. No. 15 – Maria Angelica De Leon (Bb. Pilipinas International 2017)
- – What activity that is male-oriented that you can do well or better than males?
Maria Angelica: “Well, I think I can box better than males and I can…I believe I can do anything better than males because it isn’t about gender at all, it’s about your ability, it’s your strengths, your weaknesses, your confidence within yourself and with that you can achieve anything.”
- Bb. No. 39 – Elizabeth Clenci (Bb. Pilipinas Grand International 2017)
- – If you are caught in the traffic, what do you do to make your time productive?
Elizabeth: “If I’m caught in a traffic what I usually do is I read or I sleep coz’ time is of essence so I feel like when you are stuck in a traffic you really need to make use of your time so I read, or I sleep or I talk on the phone with a loved one.”
- Bb. No. 16 – Larah Grace Lacap
- – What are the most significant transformations you have gone through in your pursuit to become a beauty queen?
Larah Grace: “The most significant change I’ve had before joining Binibining Pilipinas is I’m more motivated in what I wanted to do and I’m more physically fit than before because I know that what I wanted to do will make me a better person.”
- Bb. No. 40 – Kristel Guelos (2nd Runner-Up)
- – What kind of strength as a Filipina can you show to the universe?
Kristel: “As a medical practitioner and as a Binibining Pilipinas candidate I can show the universe the dedication and passion I am having right now and that is what I can share to others to become an influence of goodwill and to motivate others to become the best version of themselves.”
- Bb. No. 19 – Rachel Peters (Miss Universe Philippines 2017)
- – If you get to speak in front of the ASEAN leaders, what would be your message to the leaders?
Rachel: “I think that one of the biggest problems that our country faces today is divisiveness in politics, in religion and also in culture and I believe that is something that is the same across the world and that is something that I want to address. I believe that when people can learn to tolerate each other’s differences and respect each other’s opinions then we will just be a stronger nation and world.”
- Bb. No. 34 – Gabriela Ortega
- – What fear do you have that you would like to conquer and why?
Gabriela: “The fear that I have that I would like to conquer is the fear to fail. That’s something that was happening to me during this journey because I received so much love from my relatives, it was so overwhelming and I thought, Oh if I am going to fail, what’s going to happen? But then I thought, what you have to do is embrace the people that love you because they accept your failure and your achievements in life and here I am in the Top 15, so thank you so much.”
- Bb. No. 32 – Charmaine Elima (1st Runner-Up)
- – What is your view on cursing (pagmumura)?
Charmaine: “My view about cursing, this is something we should avoid. It is something that other people can hear from the older ones, the things that children should not hear because the children follows what the older people says so for me my view about cursing is something that we avoid in our everyday lives. So instead of cursing, that’s negativity, we should be more focused about positivity and promote and embrace life as we should.”
- Bb. No. 17 – Camille Manalo
- – What is your message to the bullies and their parents?
Camille: “My message to the bullied students is just no matter what you came from… from being bullied just stand up, prove to them that they’re wrong. And then no matter what happen to you prove to them that you can stand up on your own and give them your best shot.”
- Bb. No.18 – Nelda Ibe (Bb. Pilipinas Globe 2017)
- – Are you for or against Death Penalty, why or why not?
Nelda: “Well, I believe that we should not condemn life. We are a sinner but then, we have to…we have to…give importance to the life that God has given us. So my stand is I am against of it because we should celebrate what God has given us and that is life.”
- Bb. No. 22 – Chanel Olive Thomas (Bb. Pilipinas Supranational 2017)
- – Do you think the Philippines should legalize Same-Sex Marriage? Why or Why not?
Chanel: “As a Christian, I do believe that marriage is between a man and a woman, however, I do believe that everyone, every single person in the world deserves to be with whoever they want and if they wanna get married that is fine.”
- Bb. No. 28 – Juliana Kapuendl
- – Why do you think the Philippines became a Powerhouse in the pageant world?
Juliana: “I think the main reason that (the) Philippines became the powerhouse of pageants is because of resilience. Like our previous beauty queens even though they failed on the first time in joining Binibining Pilipinas, they tried second and third time, they emerged victorious not only in our country but in the whole universe.”
- Bb. No. 10 – Jehza Huelar
- – What is the role of a beauty queen in a country that lacks unity?
Jehza: “I think that the role of a beauty queen is not just winning crown but also to become the voice of the people. I believe that I can use my voice to the people who have affected by the war in my city and to those who are affected by (the) earthquake in Mindanao. So I will use my voice to become the influence…influential…voice to the other people and it would unite our Filipinos.”
At the evening’s conclusion, two ‘binibinis’ were named runners-up and six ladies were proclaimed Binibining Pilipinas queens of 2017:
- Miss Universe Philippines 2017 – Bb. No. 19 – Rachel Peters
- Bb. Pilipinas International 2017 – Bb. No. 15 – Maria Angelica De Leon
- Bb. Pilipinas Supranational 2017 – Bb. No. 22 – Chanel Olive Thomas
- Bb. Pilipinas Grand International 2017 – Bb. No. 39 – Elizabeth Clenci
- Bb. Pilipinas Intercontinental 2017 – Bb. No. 31 – Katarina Rodriguez
- Bb. Pilipinas Globe 2017 – Bb. No.18 – Nelda Ibe
- 1st Runner-Up – Bb. No. 32 – Charmaine Elima
- 2nd Runner-Up – Bb. No. 40 – Kristel Guelos
Read: Rachel Peters crowned Miss Universe Philippines
Read: Binibining Pilipinas 2017 (FULL LIST): Coronation Night Results
Read: Binibining Pilipinas 2017 (PHOTOS): Sneak Peek of Tonight’s Coronation
Read: Binibining Pilipinas 2017: Throwback at 2016 ‘Binibini’ queens international performance
Read: Binibining Pilipinas 2017: The 40 Candidates
Read: Binibining Pilipinas announces Top 10 National Costume finalists
Read: The 40 Binibining Pilipinas 2017 ladies in fabulous National Costumes
Read: Binibining Pilipinas 2017 candidates’ official swimsuit photos
- Bangkok PE to hold consular outreach in Koh Samui - September 17, 2020
- 2 Nigerian nationals nabbed over romance scam - September 13, 2020
- Teacher faces sexual assault charges - September 13, 2020