Pattaya City: Discovering Good Things in Thailand’s Sin City
Walking Street. Ping-Pong Shows. Beaches. Boyztown. Drum Shows. Cabaret Shows. Parties. Booze. All of these and everything in between define Thailand’s famous Sin City. It’s not surprising that Pattaya City is an expensive city considering its numerous tourist attractions, relatively pricier than Bangkok and Chiang Mai.
Having been working in Pattaya for almost a year now, I have witnessed how the city caters to all types of tourists. Whether you are a backpacker, adventure seeker, nature lover, couch surfer, party animal, conservative traveler, soul searcher, family-oriented visitor, or just a plain tourist, you should definitely never skip Pattaya City on your destination list. Here are several attractions and things to do in Pattaya City you should never miss out!
1. Pattaya Hill – Also called Khao Phra Bat, you can witness the best panoramic view of Pattaya bay. Best viewed at sunset, it is a picture perfect moment for all travelers!
2. Million Years Stone Park and Crocodile Farm – This park and farm features crocodiles in their different surroundings, a zoo of wild animals, huge grotesque rocks, flourishing plants, and a million-year-old tree! Crocodile shows are performed daily.
3. Wat Yannasangwararam – Located 20 kilometers south of Pattaya, this royal temple is park-like, scenic, and tranquil.
4. Thai Alangkarn Theater – This theater consists of a 70 meter hexa stage which is the longest in Thailand. It houses extravagant shows with modern light and sound techniques and pyrotechnics.
5. Dolphin World – Dolphin shows and other outdoor activities are featured here. The show starts from 9 am to 5 pm, five shows every day.
6. Koh Larn – There are six beaches on this island. Koh Larn is a Thai term which means Coral Island. This little island is famous for its white sand and clear blue water.
7. Sriracha Tiger Zoo – This zoo could probably be the world’s greatest tiger zoo in a natural habitat. You can hold, feed, and take photos with tigers! You can also enjoy the animal shows at the zoo.
8. Floating Market – The Pattaya Floating Market houses amphibious vehicles and small boats filled with goods for sale. There are also performances from locals inside the market.
9. Cartoon Network – Fun filled water activities and shows are done here. Plus, you have the chance to meet your favorite cartoon network characters such as Powerpuff girls, Gumball and Darwin, Ben 10, Johnny Bravo, and Princess Bubblegum!
10. Nong Nooch Botanical Garden – This paradise on earth is home to amazing variety of plants and beautifully landscaped gardens. Thai cultural and elephants shows are also performed here.
11. Silver Lake – Vast vineyard plantations are found here. Enjoy the calmness of the place as you marvel at the beauty of the different varieties of plants.
12. Engraved Buddha Image at Khao Chi Chan – Known as the world’s biggest carved Buddha image made by laser beams on the cliff of Chi Chan mountain in 1996.
13. Ripley’s Believe it or Not – A collection of exotic, weird, and wonderful exhibits from around the world are found here. Immerse yourself with hard-to-believe facts and puzzling illusions that will absolutely blow your mind!
14. Art in Paradise – Experience the true-to-life displays and paintings you would think they are real. Involve yourself as you take photos in these marvelous exhibits.
15. Water Sports and Activities – Being a seaside city, Pattaya is home to a lot of exciting water sports and activities. These include jet skiing, wind surfing, parasailing, snorkeling, and scuba diving. A more family oriented water activity consists of banana boat ride and kayaking which are available in most beaches of Pattaya.
16. Skydiving – Skydiving packages are also offered in this wonderful city. Rates may start at 11,000 baht per person. Boost your adrenaline at the same time appreciate the wide aerial view of Pattaya.
Getting Around Pattaya City
There are motorbikes, songtheaws, taxis, and vans that circulate around the city. You can rent a motorbike for about 200-300 baht per day. Taxis typically charge 200 baht per destination. If you are on a group tour, you can rent a private van for about 1500 per day.
As a leading tourist destination in the east of Bangkok, Pattaya has dozens of shopping centers and malls. There are three Big Cs in the city. The Night Bazaar, Central Festival, Mike Shopping Mall, and Harbor Mall are among the many shopping centers in the city.
Pattaya City isn’t really a bad city after all! Traveling to this misunderstood city in a day is never enough since there are so much to places to visit and so many things to do. Are you vacationing somewhere this upcoming summer holiday? Consider Pattaya now!
- Five Fascinating Reasons Why I Became A Teacher - January 15, 2018
- Personal Reflection: What’s the Best Thing that Happened to you in 2017? - January 6, 2018
- 15 Business Ideas with Low to Average Capital for Overseas Filipino Workers - August 29, 2017